Druids Down Under
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Tree Lore/Ogham

3 posters

Go down

Australian Tree Lore/Ogham Empty Australian Tree Lore/Ogham

Post  Julie Mills Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 am

A few years ago I decided to do some meditations on Australian trees to work out their symbolic meanings that could be used in similar ways to European trees in their home countries. I made ogham sticks out of them with special new symbols and now use them as a divining set just like you can with the original ogham. Here are some that I have worked out. I'm sure there are more out there though, and sometimes when I travel I like to pick up a new one or two! There are so many trees with such unique energies. It's really interesting to take the time to listen to the messages they hold for us.

BANKSIA Banksia trees have gnarled bark and branches that look like the skin of the old and wise, the floral columns have a masculine energy, and as they turn to seed pods and open, they look like laughing mouths. They symbolise communication with spirit guides, fertility, life giving, masculine energy, longevity, wisdom of age, joy and energy.

BOTTLEBRUSH
Bright red floral brushes, the colour of our life-blood, the colour of passion and love, blooming after rain they represent fertility and love. Their bottlebrush name invokes banishing, cleansing and renewing energies. Red, the colour of fire, they represent death and rebirth, doorways and entrance to the underworld.

EUCALYPTUS
Eucalypts represent the king of the forest, leadership, clarity, goals, focus and healing. There are litterally hundreds of species, each with their own energies. Generally they increase energy and boost the immune system, healing and cleansing the body and providing rejuvenation and connection.

SCRIBBLY GUM
A particularly interesting eucalypt for the scribbly patterns found on the white trunks. Best seen before barkfall, they represent communication, divination, mediumship and channeling. Look at the bark to find symbols and messages, paying attention to the direction they face and the elemental correspondences this represents.

IRON BARK
A eucalypt with thick strong fiberous bark. They represent strength, determination, protection, and prosperity.

GREVILLIA
With their long leaves and curling flowers, they represent beauty, femininity, love, peace, elegance, and grace. They can be found in many colours with white for the moon, yellow for the sun and red for fire, love and passion.They may be trees of small shurbs, and may have large or small flowers. Infuse their essence by soaking their flowers in water in the sun.

MELALEUCA / TEA TREE / PAPERBARK
Paperbark bark is waterproof and was used by the Aboriginal people to make shelters, bowls and other items. The leaves were used to make tea by the early settlers, and the essential oil is used today for many medicinal purposes. The magickal representations are protection, healing, safety and security. It is also important for children, art, and learning as the papery bark represents books, study and creativity.

SHE OAK
These beautiful trees are always found by the water. They are sacred to mermaids, oceanic wisdom, rivers, lakes, tides, fishing, sea creatures, femininity, and therefore also the moon and the mother as the waters. Aboriginal people say that the whistling of the wind in their fronds are the voices of the ancestors and spirits around us.

GOLDEN WATTLE
Flowering from the winter solstice to the spring equinox the many varieties of wattle are sacred to the sun and the solar festivals. The golden orbs represent not only the return of the sun but also wealth, success, good fortune, masculine energy, and abundance.

FIG
These huge majestic trees have a dark, powerful and mysterious energy, but at the same time they provide fruit and nuturance, their wide trunks creating cosy sitting spots where one can feel enveloped in their energy. A wonderful tree for meditation, for magick and mystery, protection and nurturance, their towering nature invoking leadership, safety, strength, and a love akin to that of parents for their children.

MANGROVE
Standing on the shore between the worlds of land and sea, mangroves represent doorways, and entrances to the otherworld, as well as duality, balance, change, adaptability. Being aware of two ways of being they give us the power to embrace spiritual sight and intuition.

CREPE MYRTLE
One of the few native deciduous trees, with beautiful pink blossoms flowering after storm festival, they represent beauty, love, fertility, passion, regeneration, rebirth. They stand as a communicator between the nothern and southern cycles, a translator of traditions and a symbol of adaptation, and understanding.

REDGUM
With motled bluish and bright orange bark and blood-red sap these enchanting trees are at their most vibrant just after barkfall near the summer solstice. Their bark becomes a brighter orange representing the fire season and the shedding of unwanted energies. They represent fire, release, change and transformation, purification and cleansing.

Julie Mills

Back to top Go down

Australian Tree Lore/Ogham Empty Re: Australian Tree Lore/Ogham

Post  Thylacine Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:11 pm

I absolutely love what you've done with this, Julie. This will make me see some of these trees in a whole different way, and maybe find some meanings of my own. Thanks!
Thylacine
Thylacine

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mills Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:23 am

If anyone has some more to add too that would be great, as long as they are Australian. Smile

Julie Mills

Back to top Go down

Australian Tree Lore/Ogham Empty Australian Trees and Ogham

Post  Uanie Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:43 am

Julie,

I LOVE the wisdom you've shared here about the Australian Trees! You've inspired me to start looking too!

Blessings.
Uanie
Uanie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down